Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Snowbird RV Adventure Part 1: Woodward Reservoir to Merced River RV Resort


Part 1: Days 14 - 16



Many RV sites come with a sewer hookup.
November 17: We've become morning slugs. With such short travel days we can sleep in, have a leisurely breakfast and still get on our way by the typical 11:00 checkout time.

Before we left Woodward Reservoir, we had housekeeping to do. Our RV has sinks and a toilet. Sinks empty into a gray water holding tank, toilet contents go into a black water tank. Living in our float cabin has taught us to be frugal with our water use. In the RV, we need to empty our tanks every eight to ten days. It's a small price to pay for the convenience in our rig.

One of the many almond orchards we passed,.
Driving southwest to Merced River RV Resort we passed almond orchards. They brought to mind all the years I visited Aunt Mar and Uncle Chet at their almond orchard in nearby Oakdale. I loved to eat the almonds right off the tree, especially the soft immature ones called "in the milk."

Taking advantage of the nuts, Hersey opened a plant in Oakdale in 1965. Now Sconza Candy has taken over. A Blue Diamond Almonds plant is also nearby.

Just before we reached Highway 99 we passed the 1000 mile mark for this trip. It is hard to believe we've already driven this far, but California is a very long state.

Merced River Resort is between Livingston and Delhi. It's an older RV park with shade trees, grassy open spaces and tidy sites.

It was Sunday so we picked up our "after hours" packet at the office and drove straight to Site #A25. As we were pulling in, Jerry stopped by to make sure we had everything we needed. Customer service from making last minute reservations to departure was excellent.


November 18-19: We settled in for a three night stay. Each day we strolled around the park and down to the river.

The Merced River flows slowly in the flat Central Valley.

The Merced River runs through Yosemite Valley. The water passing us raced a long ways to become this lazy river on its way to join the San Joaquin River to the west.

Site #A25 was shaded by oaks and mulberry trees.

The perfect spot for Wayne to read and a picnic table for me to journal write.

I took advantage of the shower facility. It's one way we minimize water consumption in the RV. Plus, a long hot shower in a big stall is way better than a short one in our small one.  -- Wayne and Margy
Trip Mileage Log
Leg - 51 miles
Total - 1036 miles



I was never good about keeping a diary in my youth, but I've kept various journals as an adult. Journaling is a great way to hone your writing skills and it's a great way to capture memories.


When we started taking RV trips, I began journaling about our travels. In addition to my narrative, I include illustrated maps and scrapbook items from the places we've visited. We keep our old journal with us as we travel. It's full of information we can use on future trips.

Do you keep a journal? What do you write about and do you include illustrations? -

16 comments :

  1. Thank you, Margy, for introducing me to the art of Yvonne Maxinchuk. I really like her work, wearable and otherwise. I think the urge to keep a journal with illustrations has resulted in a lot of blogs, although they probably come second to actually holding a book with pencil in hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's also a great author. She comes to White Rock to do art shows and readings on occasion. - Margy

      Delete
  2. I checked out Sconza website. They sell lemoncello chocolate almonds. That sounds so intriguing I almost would want to drive there if they had factory tours. I always start a trip with the goal of writing/drawing daily in my journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After writing that post I'm having huge chocolate cravings. - Margy

      Delete
  3. Margy - 1000 miles. Wow. I remember when we moved to Montana, and planned to visit our daughter in San Francisco. We thought about driving, and then we looked at the map and realized how far south that really is! As you know, I keep a garden journal and I do an occasional illustration for it! Happy Thanksgiving, and thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was little my parents would drive to Modesto from Los Angeles every holiday and summer, even the short ones like Thanksgiving, to be with my grandparents (my mom's side). It was an all day trip to me with no freeways and old style vehicles that needed rests to get over the mountains with going into vapor lock. - Margy

      Delete
  4. A trip Journal - something to treasure, add too and consult again and again. Happy Thanksgiving while on your RV trip.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does has come in handy when we want to return to a certain place and have all the information in one place. - Margy

      Delete
  5. Hello, Margy

    I really enjoy reading about your RV travels. The Merced River area looks like a pretty spot to visit. I usually blog about my travels, but keeping a journal is a great idea. I always bring home maps and brochures that could be used in a journal or scrapbook. Enjoy your day, wishing you a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. You are such a faithful reader and always take the time to leave a comment. I enjoy visiting your blog as well to see about your hikes and all the birds. - Margy

      Delete
  6. I can see that you are enjoying the beautiful places. Worth the little inconveniences. Wish we could do that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There aren't many inconveniences. Living in an off-the-grid float cabin is much like living in an RV, only we have a little more than twice the space indoors at home. - Margy

      Delete
  7. It sure looks like you are getting lovely weather out in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's about to change overnight. We leave BC to find the sun and bring the rain with us, But maybe California was hoping for that. - Margy

      Delete
  8. My blog is my journal! My photos, my reminders.
    I love to travel with you! Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I try to remember when something happened I go back to my digital photos that I have organized by season and year. Sometimes it's hard, but I can usually find what I am looking for. - Margy

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy