Thursday, July 2, 2020

Quarantine Cuisine: Oven Baked BBQ Pork Ribs


BBQ ribs on the grill back home at the float cabin.
We really miss the BBQ grill up at the float cabin. Practically every night, Wayne would cook meat or fish on the grill to go with the sides I made in the cabin kitchen.

In the beginning of our stay here at the Bellingham condo, our meals were varied. Now, after eating in for four months, our menus have become repetitive. I saw in the Fred Meyer flyer that spareribs were on sale. I decided to try cooking them in the oven instead.

I decided to follow BBQ Oven-Baked Ribs by Makinze Gore at Delish. I used the directions to prepare and cook the ribs. I didn't use the BBQ sauce portion. Instead I used my favourite commercial Sweet Baby Ray's Original BBQ Sauce. It's like a taste of home.

Click here to see the complete recipe. My modifications are in italics.

Oven Baked BBQ Pork Ribs

Ingredients:

A dry rub adds flavour.
2 pound baby back ribs
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I omitted)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:

Bake covered first.
Rinse the ribs under cold water, pat dry, then peel off the tough “silverskin” membrane over the bones if the butcher hasn't already done so. Use a paring knife to loosen the edge and pull.

In a bowl, stir together the ingredients for a dry rub. I omitted the brown sugar. Massage the mixture into both sides of the ribs. Let the ribs rest for an hour or more to absorb the flavours.


Baste with BBQ sauce rib side first.
Place the ribs on a prepared baking sheet. Cover with foil. I used my large roasting pan with its rack and lid. 

Preheat the oven to 300° and bake the ribs meaty side up low and slow until very tender, about 2 hours. I added a small amount of water to the pan to create moist steam during cooking.

Prepare your BBQ sauce unless you use a commercial variety like I did.

Broil after basting one more time.
After one hour, turn the ribs over bone side up and continue to bake covered.

After two hours remove the cover, brush BBQ sauce over the bone side. Return to the oven and bake uncovered at 350° for an additional 15 minutes.

Turn the ribs to meaty side up and brush with BBQ sauce. Return to the oven and bake uncovered at 350° for an additional 15 minutes.

Turn the oven to broil. Brush the meaty side one more time with BBQ sauce. 

Ready to eat to celebrate an indoor Canada Day 2020.

Broil until the sauce starts to caramelize, 2 to 4 minutes. Watch carefully so it doesn't burn.


Happy Canada Day to all my Canadian friends.
The combination of low and slow cooking and broiling at the end makes the ribs almost like they came off the BBQ grill. Mine turned out great, minus the grill marks.

BBQ ribs were a great way for us to celebrate an indoor Canada Day on July 1. If you are in the States, why not try them for the 4th of July.

What did you fix for your holiday celebration? - Margy

6 comments :

  1. sound delicious....thank you for recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your baking technique, Margy. I would've never thought of using a rack. It's been awhile since we've had pork ribs. I usually simmer the ribs first, then when they're tender, douse them in BBQ sauce and finish them off in the toaster oven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look scrumptious!! Thanks for the recipe, and I hope you'll share your photo at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/06/sink-drink.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do ribs in the oven all the time, I think this method is great!Happy Canada Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what we would do without the bbq during this really hot and humid time we are having, supposed to last another week! Hope you had a good Canada Day, and are having some celebrations for the 4th of July.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy