Thursday, April 9, 2020

Doing Our Part: Sewing Face Masks for Personal Use


A reverse selfie with my new face mask.
One advantage of heeding Washington Governor Inslee's "Stay Home, Stay Healthy" order in our Bellingham condo is it's fully equipped. When Mom passed, we kept it as our U.S. part-time home.

Here I have her sewing machine, ironing board and sewing supplies. When it came time to make face masks to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, I was prepared except for fabric. That's where an old sheet and T-shirt came in handy.

I picked Billettes Baubles Eco Alternatives's video to follow and one about washing them.



Mom here in her Bellingham condo in 2008.
As children, both my mom and dad survived the 1918 Influenza Pandemic in Los Angeles. This account by the University of Michigan Center for the History of Medicine has parallels to our current COVID-19 Pandemic.

Strong mitigation including bans on gatherings, and school and business closures resulted in a lower death rate in Los Angeles than similar cities. And there was controversy about face masks.

I laundered the fabric before I began. I cut two 7x9" rectangles from the sheet and one 5X7" of T-shirt knit. The knit took more ironing to keep it flat. The video called for flannel, but I didn't have any and I trimmed wide elastic narrower for my two 7" ear loops. 

1. Cut 7" sheet strip. 2. Then cut 7X9" rectangles. 3-4. Cut 5X7" T-shirt rectangle.

Here are the steps I used to assemble the mask. Watch the video to see it even better.

Stitch a smaller piece in the middle.
  • Pin and sew the 5X7" knit piece in the middle of one7X9" cotton cloth piece. I made my knit piece 5" wide to cover a larger portion of my face.

  • Pin and sew the two 7x9" pieces together leaving an inch and a half opening at the top. Make sure the front sides (if your fabric has a print pattern) are facing each other and the extra stitched on center piece is facing outwards. 

Turn it right side out through the hole.
  • As you are sewing, double stitch one end of elastic in each corner between the two pieces of fabric. Watch the video. It's easier to see than describe. The two elastic strips will create the loops that go behind your ears to keep the mask in place.

  • Trim the corners. Use the hole you left open at the top to turn the mask right side out. Iron the seams flat. Double stitch around the sides of the mask to close the hole and secure the edges.

Make two horizontal pleats.
  • Create two horizontal pleats and pin them in place. These pleats will allow the mask to shape around your nose and chin.

  • Double stitch along the sides of the mask to hold the pleats firmly together.

  • Your mask is ready to wear.

Stitching the sides to hold the pleats in place.

This type of mask will not protect you from the coronavirus. They can penetrate even three layers of cloth. However, a mask like this can help reduce spreading the virus if you are infected but asymptomatic. Wearing a face mask cannot replace social distancing. Stay home. If you must go out, always stay at least six feet (two metres) away from others.

Are you wearing and/or making face masks? What about the people in your community?

p.s. After I wrote this post (and made my masks) I read an article about preferred fabrics for homemade masks. It said that T-shirt material was less desirable because holes in knits are larger than woven flannel and cotton cloth. If you have these materials available, I would recommend using them instead. If you have these materials available, I would recommend using them instead. Also, this style of mask made with a soft fabric rides close to your nose, making it hard to breathe while walking or exercising. -- Margy

20 comments :

  1. That's my project for today...haven't sewed since 4th grade so might have to hand sew which is how I mend things (not bad at that) but I do have all the materials including elastic and old tshirts. Going for several layers. Thank you for your tutorial, it looks easier than some I've seen and more explanatory :) Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes me a long time to get one sewed. Today I prepared for five more. Wayne and I will each have three to rotate and I am giving two away to our good friend who lives across the hall. - Margy

      Delete
  2. This is wonderful, Margy! It was so nice to meet you today. I so appreciated your kind comment left at my blog. I am thankful to hear you are safe and staying well. Your Mom looks like such a sweet lady. It is comforting to know that she and your Dad weathered the awful pandemic, and I know, by God's grace, you and your loved ones will do the same during this awful time. Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom was always the sweetest person. She always helped others and never complained. I miss Mom and Dad. Wayne and I don't have other family but we have good friends here and in Canada who are so helpful all the time. - Margy

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful photo of you with your mother. There is so much love on both your faces that it really touched me.
    I haven't tried making a mask yet, but have noted your instructions. They sound more straightforward than some that I have read.
    Take care, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture of Mom was on her 92nd birthday. She lived here in the condo until she passed just after her 97th birthday. It was so good to be able to be with her here at home until the very end. - Margy

      Delete
  4. My wife made two for our trip to the doctor's on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. FG has many talents. Hope the leg is starting to heal. - Margy

      Delete
  5. I will sew some masks tomorrow for my family.
    A nice photo of you and your Mom.
    Have a good Easter. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there are a lot of sewing machines going into action these days. - Margy

      Delete
  6. My friend, who has a sewing blog, shared her pattern and I've been making some for personal use. Good to hear you and Wayne are keeping busy and staying healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet yours turned out great, you are so talented with your hands. - Margy

      Delete
  7. I don't have the right material for a real mask, but I made some. It was something to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you have lots of places to walk and grandkids to keep you busy. - Margy

      Delete
  8. Margy this is all beautiful, fun and productive way to spend the quarantine and I really like the cloth you used here. I am a lover of plain colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not face masks, but our table tennis table has been converted into a sewing table, and my wife is making a set of 'scrubs' for a children's hospital.

    Hope you are well - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful thing to do. My sewing talents wouldn't go that far though. - Margy

      Delete
  10. Ah, so that's why the pleats. I made masks with pleats for the Husband and me. When I sewed the first mask, I thought it was magic that it fit my face well. I can be slow on the draw. :-) Take care, Margy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they are folded they look too small don't they. - Margy

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy