Tuesday, July 2, 2019

The Story of Patches


Sewing on Patches.
Today’s post is the life story of a pair of well-worn and patched sweatpants that I’ve had for about 45 years. In a way, it’s my story too. And "sew" the tale begins.

According to her faded “birth certificate” label, Patches was born in the States into the Tultex active wear clan. In the early years, Patches didn’t have a name. She was new and light green in colour. During the mid-70s, I was a teacher in Bellflower living in Lakewood, California. Mornings and evenings I would jog the tree lined streets or head to the Jack LaLanne gym around the corner. Patches joined me on many occasions.

Patches moved with me to a Cerritos condo in the late 70s. My teaching job morphed into a quasi-administrative position so running was put off to weekends. That meant we had nights to relax in front of the gas fireplace and eat pizza from the little shop around the corner.

Patches sports her first blue patch while gardening in 2008.

Patches moved to Pomona when Wayne and I got married. She spent many of those years in semi-retirement in the bottom drawer (my space) of Wayne’s dresser. While there, she had a harrowing experience. Pepper, the cat I adopted while teaching kindergarten, got stuck in the drawer when Wayne and I were packing for vacation. Uncle Bill agreed to cat sit, but couldn’t find Pepper until he heard a faint meow two days later. Fortunately for Patches, Pepper was able to wait until she got out to head to the litter box. What a relief for everyone!

More patches while painting new bathroom furniture in 2011.

Patches (still without a name) made it into a moving box to head for our Pomona townhouse. She got through the pre-move closet purge because of her utilitarian value. In the beginning, there was lots of gardening to be done and painting fifteen years later to prepare for yet another move. I can still see the smudges of honour on her cuff.

Patches helps out with firewood log splitting in 2013.

In 2001, Wayne and I discovered float cabins on Powell Lake in British Columbia and purchased one on the spot. Back at our California home I packed four large cardboard boxes and sent them via UPS to Powell River. In amongst sheets, blankets, and kitchen supplies was Patches. She made good packing material and would serve as my first cabin work clothes.

Patches gets gumboots to help with wood gathering in 2016.

Patches was glad to have a new purpose in life. If I was gardening, she was there. If I was gathering or chopping wood, she was there. If I was doing cabin maintenance, she was there. She even got to go on fun fishing trips in our tin boat.

Then later that year Patches helps paint a friend's roof.

In Spring 2008, she earned her first patch to cover a hole worn through her left knee. It was a proud blue badge for a job well done. And it earned her a well-deserved name.

Sporting her new maple leaf patches in 2018.

Since that first patch, many have been added. After blue came green. Then I found Canadian maple leaf pillow cases at the Economy Shop. The clerk knew they wouldn’t stay on the shelf long. Little did she know they weren’t destined for my bed, but a much grander purpose. In August 2018, Wayne and I (along with Patches) became Canadian citizens. Now she wears her maple leaves with even more pride.

Patches still going strong repotting blueberry bushes in 2019.

I don’t know how long Patches will have an active wear work life, but I continue to add to her collection. Hopefully our partnership will last for many years to come.

Patches today, becoming more patches than knit.

 Do you have any special clothes that have made the cut through successive closet purges? What story do they have to tell? -- Margy

19 comments :

  1. What a great story. Looks like Patches was an environmentalist before the word became common. Haha … it was conserving clothing and doing double, and triple, duty like a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to look back at the pictures I had of Patches. Of course there aren't any from her youth. Who thinks to take pictures of new sweats. - Margy

      Delete
  2. A great story! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Patches got to go to work in the garden twice already. - Margy

      Delete
  3. Margy - I can't claim to have a piece of clothing with a history nearly as long as Patches, and certainly none that have names! But I can tell you that I have many articles of clothing that were purchased over 20 years ago and I still wear them today. If you buy good quality and take good care of it (which includes not over-washing something), it will last! Thanks for sharing this terrific love story with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about washing clothes too often. They get so thin and faded. - Margy

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks. It was a fun story to write (and live). - Margy

      Delete
  5. Hmm! I like the idea of Patches very much - but not sure that I have the correct airs and graces to carry it off very well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a new one for me, "airs and graces." Had to look it up. - Margy

      Delete
  6. I love the way you weaved your life's story through patches. Thanks for your visit to my blog. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your patching reminds me of Japanese Boro except the patches are stitched in a different way. Thanks for your visit and comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked it up and there is a similarity. As Patches earns more, she may look more like it. I just started doing cross stitch to close up a few gaps. - Margy

      Delete
  8. Oh what a fun life adventure you and Patches have had (along with that certain guy who joined you later of course). Loved your story. And you should certainly never let Patches go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to get a matched set. My blue sweatshirt is now starting to sport some patches of it's own. - Margy

      Delete
  9. I still wear one of my dad's old raggedy sweatshirts. You weaved a great tale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love to wear one of my dad's shirts when I was a teen. I have saved one of his favourite cowboy shirts to remember the good times we had. - Margy

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy