Friday, March 11, 2016

Daffodils in Skagit Valley


This week we got to mix two things we love -- flying and flowers.

997 wings over the fertile Skagit Valley in Washington.

Skies were overcast and gray, but farm fields were green and the daffodils bright yellow.


Skagit Valley in northwestern Washington State is well known for their tulip farms. But before those multi-coloured tulips arrive, bright yellow daffodils reign. The flowers are grown for their bulbs rather than their blooms, but while the bulbs mature beneath the rich soil of the Skagit River delta, locals and visitors get to enjoy the flowers in all their glory.

Have you ever been to a flower growing region? Isn't it great fun to see whole fields lined with blooms? -- Margy

16 comments :

  1. Fantastic aerial views of the daffodil fields! I have never visited a region where flowers are grown but it would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - When the tulips come we'll have to go back and capture the new colours. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Wow - now there's a view I've never seen, we just see them from the roads - fantastic view. Thanks for sharing. I just love driving among the fields on a warm afternoon - the scent is heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Plexiglas of the windshield changes the colours some and if I'm not careful I get lots of reflections back. But sometimes it works out. - Margy

      Delete
  3. Lovely view of the fields! I've seen tulip fields in the Netherlands and it was an amazing sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad to know that the flowers are just a byproduct and are cut down. They hire local high school students and locals to do the mass cuttings. - Margy

      Delete
  4. Could life get any better than this? Beautiful scenery from a viewpoint most of us wouldn't see without your shares! Thank you. (And I love to see daffodil pictures from any viewpoint .., I never get to see them blooming these days.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love living in a rural and forested area. Growing up in the big city of Los Angeles gave me enough of that. - Margy

      Delete
  5. Beautiful shots. I love Daffodils

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful view.
    I have never seen a flower farm and I can tell that it is my loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I have seen tulips from the ground but never from the air. The daffodils are stunning from up there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Low blow Margy. Arizona wow get a tan for me. LOL
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for stopping by to comment on my floral Skywatch post. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I love the beautiful view. Hubby and I have visited the Skagit River area and the Cascades along RT 20. It is a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy