Thursday, May 21, 2020

Quarantine Cuisine: Crockpot Magic Meatloaf


My well loved cookbook.
Making so many meals at home right now, a crockpot comes in handy.  My Rival was a wedding present in 1971. I used it a lot while teaching in Bellflower. It's followed me through the years and now serves me well in our Powell River condo. It's such a classic that one is on exhibit in the Smithsonian.

The next Christmas I bought one for Mom. Now it's here in the Bellingham condo that used to be hers. With it I can continue to make some of my favourite recipes.

We love meatloaf and the crockpot makes it an easy meal to prepare. And it brings back wonderful memories of cooking here in the condo with Mom.


CROCKPOT MAGIC MEATLOAF
"( . . . it cooks while you loaf!)"
(Page 26 of the 1971 Rival Crockpot Cookbook)

Mom always added a touch of love.
Ingredients from the Cookbook:

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 egg beaten
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 slices bread crumbed
1/2 small onion chopped
2 tablespoons green pepper chopped
2 tablespoons celery chopped
Ketchup topping


Mix the ingredients.
Changes I Made:

I omitted the green pepper
I used 1 stalk of celery with leaves chopped
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
Garlic powder to taste
Ground black pepper to taste

To have leftovers for another meal, and a meal in the freezer, I doubled the recipe.



In the crockpot ready to cook.
Directions:

Coat the crockpot with vegetable oil spray.

Let bread dry overnight or in a warm oven. Break it up by hand into small crumbs. Stir in the chopped vegetables and seasonings.

Beat the egg and milk and pour over the bread crumb mixture to moisten.

Combine with the ground beef. This step is best done with clean, well washed hands.
Form the meat into a rounded loaf and place it in the bottom of the crockpot. Bake on high for one hour and then reduce to low for 6-8 hours. Top with ketchup if desired during the last hour. Check with a meat thermometer until the center reaches 155-160 degrees F.

Resting before slicing.

To complete my meal, I baked two potatoes and cook carrots with broccoli in the microwave. How are handling having more meals at home? Do you have some recipes to share? -- Margy

17 comments :

  1. Wow, I didn't know we could bake meatloaf in a crock pot! I will definitely give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only down side I've found is the moisture that comes out of the meat needs to be spooned off part way through to keep it from covering the meat. I find it comes out moister than my oven backed ones. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Must give this a try, never made meatloaf in the crockpot before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To make sure it is done, I use a meat thermometer and check the center temperature. - Margy

      Delete
  3. I would never have thought to put it in the crock pot. I love doing meatloaf and throwing in all sorts of things. We have to avoid dairy, yeast and eggs, so I get creative!
    Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first got married (the first time) back in 1971 it was one of the first things I learned to cook in my crockpot. - Margy

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. And the leftovers just keep getting better. - Margy

      Delete
  5. I have not tasted meatloaf before. I didn't know we can use the crock pot for baking. This is something new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a go-to recipe for our family when we weren't retired. The crockpot made it simple to get started the night before and cook all day until we got home for dinner. - Margy

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Next time I'm going to use ground beef with a bit more fat to make it less crumbly when cut. - Margy

      Delete
  7. Margy - I am pretty sure that my Mom had (has) that recipe book. I will have to ask her when I talk to her later this week. And now I am hankering for some meat loaf and mashed potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a classic. Now everything you see is an Instapot. - Margy

      Delete
  8. I think I'm going to try this recipe. I've been making the same meatloaf for years, a change might be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, I recommend not using the 93% lean variety of ground beef. The meatloaf holds together better with a little more fat content. - Margy

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy