Thursday, March 28, 2019

Easy Yelllow Cake with Chocolate Chips


The ingredients organized for baking.
Here's another baking favourite from my Fannie Farmer Cookbook. Before this recipe I made a Banana Chocolate Loaf.

I just used my ripe bananas up in the Banana Nut Bread so I turned to an alternative, Fannie Farmer's Easy Yellow Cake and added chocolate chips.


Fannie Farmer's Easy Yellow Cake

You'll find my recipe modifications in italics.

Ingredients:

Beat the eggs, vanilla and sugar.
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup milk (low fat or whole)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:

Continue to add the ingredients in order.
Preheat over to 350 degrees F.

Grease an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan. I chose to use an 8½ X 4½ loaf pan instead. We find it easier for storing and slicing. I also used vegetable cooking spray and parchment paper on the bottom to make cake removal easier after baking.

Beat sugar, eggs and vanilla for one minute.

Add the remaining ingredients in the order listed but
do not over mix. I used a large whisk for the wet
Adding the chocolate chips.
ingredients and a spoon to mix in the dry ones.

After the cake ingredients were mixed, I stirred in a cup and a half of chocolate chips.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Using the loaf pan required an addition 10 minutes of baking for mine.

This easy to make cake makes a good dessert or sweet snack. Try it with a dollop of ice cream or whipped cream (or both) on top. Yum!


What is your favourite easy cake or dessert recipe to make? -- Margy

6 comments :

  1. Hurray for Fannie Farmer! That cake looks like a winner. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that cookbook. It is everything rolled into one place. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Oh no! You're making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fannie Farmer... It's been almost six decades since I've seen those two words put together. Special occasions growing up in St Paul always saw my Dad provide a box of them to my Mom. Of course, as an only child I usually got more than my share...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there were two of the same name, the cookbook Fannie and the candy store Fanny. Wonder if they were related. - Margy

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy