Thursday, November 30, 2017

Beef Tamale Pie


Preparing the filling.
When we go to town, I cook things for our suppers that can also be frozen for future meals.  During colder months I like to make a large tamale pie to fit the bill. I started with a recipe by at The Spruce

Tamale Pie

Filling Ingredients:
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil 
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped 
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1-8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1-14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes, cut up
  • 1-15 oz can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1-15 oz can kidney beans, drained
  • 1- 2.25 oz can sliced olives, drained
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preparing the cornmeal.

Cornmeal Base and Topping:
  • 3/4cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups cold water
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese for topping (optional)

Directions:

Saute onions, garlic, green pepper, and celery in olive oil until translucent. Add chili powder and cumin and cook briefly to bring out the flavours.  Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, corn, kidney beans, olives, sugar, and salt. Heat to a low boil, then simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes until the flavours marry and it thickens.


Assembling the ingredients.
In a saucepan, combine cornmeal, salt and chili powder. Add water and cook over medium heat. Stir constantly until thickened. Mix in butter. If it's too thick, add extra water. Use cooking spray on a 9.5 x 9.5 inch (or similar) deep baking dish. Spread half of the cornmeal mixture on the bottom. Next layer all of the filling. Spread the remaining cornmeal over the top. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over the crust about 10 minutes before the casserole is done.


Ready to serve with a golden brown cheese topping.
It was so good, Wayne and I ate almost a third. But I still had two large servings to freeze for future meals. And the best part, I didn't have to go to the store. Everything in the recipe was available in my pantry, refrigerator and freezer.

Do you have any favourite recipes that freeze well? We'd love to hear about them. -- Margy

5 comments :

  1. That looks just delicious! I also have all those ingredients on hand, so will be making this soon. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just love it when you have everything you need to make a great meal? We just got home to the cabin after being away for two weeks and had two days eating from our shelves and freezer before we can get to the store. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Oh, one of my favorites. I love anything that I can make ahead and freeze - either for Don's lunches at work - or for dinners. Chili freezes great, as well as enchiladas and I'd freeze meatloaf if we didn't gobble it up so fast. Chicken enchiladas are great in the freezer too. As well as the nut breads I make for the freezer - great for gifts of for a little sweet treat in the afternoon, I use the mini bread pans - just the right size to thaw and have for afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your nut breads are great. I haven't made any for a long time. Now that it is winter it's baking time with the added bonus of heating up the cabin. - Margy

      Delete
  3. You have inspired me! I used to make my version of this, with cornbread instead of the cornmeal mush. I'm going to try your recipe for a potluck in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy