Thursday, February 2, 2017

Cranberry Stuffed Acorn Squash


Cold nights always make me think of comfort foods. Winter squash fills that bill in my cookbook.

I chose acorn squash because of it's size is perfect for the two of us, and its shape is perfect for stuffing.

Like many of my recipes, I did Internet research then put together several to match the ingredients I had on hand and what I think will taste good.


Cranberry Stuffed Acorn Squash

Ingredients:

1 acorn squash
1 cup unseasoned croutons
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 stalk celery diced
1/4 onion chopped
1/2 apple diced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup apple juice
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Slice the top off of the squash, scoop out the seeds, and trim the bottom so the squash can stand upright in a baking dish.

Fill the dish with 1/2 inch of water, place the squash upside down and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until the flesh is softened.

While the squash is baking, prepare the filling. Melt butter in a frying pan and saute onion, celery and apple. When wilted, add cranberries, pecans, apple juice, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, and salt and pepper. Cook slowly until sugar is dissolved then remove from heat.


Remove squash from the oven and discard the water. Turn right side up. Stir together croutons  and the cooked mixture.

Stuff the squash and return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes or until browned.

The stuffed squash can be served as a side, but I think it's hearty enough to be a main dish. -- Margy

2 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. My town cooking can get a lot more involved. At least it gives me something to do in between blogging. Just kidding. - Margy

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy