Sunday, February 21, 2016

Meatloaf Brasciole


When I get the chance, I like to watch Rachel Ray on the Food Channel. I don't make many of her recipes, but one caught my eye, Meatloaf Brasciole.

They are both favourite foods, now they come rolled (literally) into one. You can find her recipe at the link above. I made a few changes for my taste.



Meatloaf Brasciole

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
1/2 cup bread crumbs
salt and pepper
2 cloves garlic minced
1/4 small onion chopped fine
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon Italian spice blend crushed
1 egg
1 cup arugula or spinach leaves
6 slices prosciutto
6 slices provolone cheese
extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling

Directions:

Mix bread crumbs, salt and pepper, garlic, onion, Parmesan cheese, and Italian spice in a large bowl. Whip egg and stir into dry ingredients. Crumble hamburger and Italian sausage over the mixture and mix well by hand.

Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper and flatten meat to a 1/2" thick rectangle. Cover meat with arugula, prosciutto and cheese. Leave all four edges uncovered for sealing.


Use the waxed paper to help roll the Meatloaf Braciole ingredients into a large log much like a jellyroll.

Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil to coat lightly.

Be sure to seal all sides to keep all of those goodies inside. The cheese just loves to try and ooze out.



Roast the meat roll for about 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. It cooks quicker than you would think.

Remove and let it rest for 15 minutes before cutting. Cut in 1-inch slices and serve.

Top with a spoonful of marinara sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if you like. Serves 4-6 people.


I served my Meatloaf Brasciole with a pasta and broccoli side dish (much like the one on Rachel Ray's recipe page) and garlic toast. It was a nice and easy dinner for Mother's Day last Sunday.

Do you like to watch food shows? What are some of your favourites? Have you tried any of the recipes? -- Margy

6 comments :

  1. Yummma - sounds like a good idea, once I get over this cold and get back to cooking. I love to watch Ina Garten (haven't watched tv in years so not even sure if she is still on) - love her kind of happy go lucky style - and her meals that she fixes for Jeffrey. When I need a recipe for something I will usually google her first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only watch TV in Bellingham except for news and sports at the condo in Powell River. With no TV (or high speed Internet) at the cabin it's pretty basic. - Margy

      Delete
  2. How fabulous that meatloaf looks! I need a new recipe for meatloaf and you just provided it - thanks! Your photos will really help when I make it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I start cooking and forget to take pictures. But when I'm thinking .... - Margy

      Delete
  3. Not a big Rachel Ray fan, but this looks amazing. Thanks for sharing on the #HappinessisHomemade party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get to watch TV much any more, but I do like to catch a cooking show if I can. - Margy

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy