Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Wild by Cheryl Strayed


I just finished rereading Wild by Cheryl Strayed.  I first read it in 2012 when it was very first published and very popular.  It's one of those books that begs a second read. 

We first heard about it in a presentation at the Whatcom Writers and Publishers group. And having it available as an e-book makes it perfect for us, but it's also available as a hardback, an audiobook and in 2014 a movie starring Reese Witherspoon. I enjoyed seeing the movie after reading the book.

Wild is Cheryl Strayed's memoir. It struck several cords with me. When you look at the cover, you see a well worn hiking boot. I love the outdoors, and this book is about a woman's solo hiking adventure on the Pacific Crest Trail. Also on the cover, her name stands out as unusual. I won't spoil that part for you, but it was similar to an experience I had in my life.

When Cheryl was in her early twenties, she suddenly lost her mother to cancer. That event changed her outlook and approach to life. After floundering for four years, she decided to embark on the adventure of a lifetime. With a partially thought through plan, this gutsy young woman set out from Mohave, California, to hike away her past and into her future. The people she met on the trail, the places she experienced, and the physically grueling hike itself transformed her life.

Cheryl was beaten down and climbed (literally) back up to a new life. Have you ever felt like that? Get Wild and see how the strength we have within can be brought out and harnessed for the rest of our lives. Or try Brave Enough packed with quotes from her writings that focus on "wisdom, courage, and humor." -- Margy

2 comments :

  1. Thank you for your interesting contribution ! We are half way round 19. Iwonder if we get a round 20 and finish it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hate to see it all end, but I know how much work must be involved. I can barely keep up with my own blogs. - Margy

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy