Saturday, September 17, 2016

Easy Chicken Enchiladas


Yesterday was a cloudy, blustery day, so I decided to make some comfort food for dinner. The night before we had a grocery store rotisserie chicken, so I decided to make the leftovers into enchiladas.

I'm a dump and pour kind of cook, so this recipe may be a bit sketchy. The trick for me to make easy enchiladas is organization. I get everything ready to go and run an assembly line until it's ready for the oven.


Easy Chicken Enchiladas

2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 dozen corn tortillas
3 cups grated cheese
(cheddar, mozzarella, jack)
1 large can red enchilada sauce
1 onion diced
1 small can sliced black olives

Heat enchilada sauce in a small frying pan. If it gets too thick, just add a little water. Spread a thin layer of the sauce over the bottom of a large baking dish. Heat one tortilla at a time in the hot sauce. Flip once to coat and warm both sides. Remove when it becomes pliable. Don't leave the tortilla in the sauce too long or it will get mushy and break apart.

Use tongs to transfer the tortilla to a plate for assembly. Cover with cheese, chicken, onion and a few olives. Roll carefully around the stuffing, ending with the open end on the bottom. Carefully transfer to the baking dish. The weight of the contents will keep it from unrolling.

I can fit twelve enchiladas in my pan, ten across and two lengthwise. If I have any ingredients left over, I sprinkle them on top. Drizzle enough sauce to moisten the top of each enchilada. Sprinkle with grated cheese and it's ready to bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbling at the edges.

Don't over bake the enchiladas or they become dry and hard. I like my cheese ooey- gooey. Since the chicken is pre-cooked, you don't have to worry about that.


Serve with refried beans, shredded lettuce with taco sauce, and warm corn tortillas. That'll put a glow on even the coldest days. -- Margy

4 comments :

  1. Yummm - delicious. I made enchiladas last week - today I made lasagna. When I make chicken enchiladas I like to use a white sauce - nice for a change - but either way - a favorite here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are hard if you roll them individually, but lately I've been making enchilada stack, much like lasagna. Tastes the same to me. - Margy

      Delete
  2. A real treat! Looks delightful ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mexican food. I grew up in the Los Angeles area and it was a staple for us. - Margy

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy