Thursday, June 11, 2020

Quarantine Cuisine: Easy Semi-Homemade Pineapple Carrot Cake


Easy semi-homemade carrot cake.
In the past months, I've shared meals prepared while self-isolating in Washington State. Things are reopening, but our age group is still encouraged to stay home.

The Food Channel used to air Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee. She combined store-bought items with fresh ingredients to make foods that tasted like they were from scratch.

I looked online for a carrot cake recipe that started with a boxed mix. I chose Easy Pineapple Carrot Cake from the Eat at Home Cooks website. 

Easy Pineapple Carrot Cake

The ingredients ready to go.
Ingredients:

• 1 carrot cake mix
• 1-2 small carrots grated
• 8 oz crushed pineapple drained
• 3 eggs
• 2/3 cup vegetable oil
• 1 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla


Fresh carrots and canned pineapple.
Instructions:

My modifications are in italics.

Mix all of the cake ingredients together with an electric mixer until well blended. I read the directions on the Duncan Hines box and it only called for one and a half cups liquid so I reduced the oil from 2/3 to 1/2 half cup. I used a spoon rather than a mixer.


I used a spoon rather than a mixer.
Pour into two greased 8" round cake pans. I don't have round cake pans, so I used a 7x11-inch Pyrex pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  

Because my batter was deeper in one rectangular pan, it took about 50 minutes for the toothpick to come out clean. Towards the end, I checked every five minutes.


Cooling.
Cool completely before frosting.

Rather than making cream cheese frosting from scratch, I used Duncan Hines Creamy Cream Cheese Frosting.

This one cake gave us dessert for four nights. It made a nice, but not overly sweet, end to our warmed up freezer meal entrees.



Easy semi-homemade pineapple carrot cake hits the spot!

 What are you making to satisfy your sweet tooth? -- Margy

14 comments :

  1. That looks delicious and carrot cake is a favourite of ours. I've been making muffins, chocolate cake, scones and more .... all the things we don't really need to be eating but are :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. The frosting was a bit sweet for my taste, but made the cake so easy to make. - Margy

      Delete
  2. pineapple carrot cake is one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too, and this way was so easy. One can of pineapple goes to make two cakes so I bought another mix for later. - Margy

      Delete
  3. The combination of carrots & pineapple must be delicious!

    I found the semi home made concept pretty interesting......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like semi-homemade to make meal preparation easier. - Margy

      Delete
  4. ...does it come in a low cal version?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds yummy .. Bill is borderline Type 2 Diabetic, so we *try* to forego sugar as much as possible. I bet I haven’t bought a cake mix in over 10 years. But. We do eat an ice cream sandwich occasionally or a piece or two of chocolate. ... so it might be that giving up baked desserts is due to laziness as much as to heath concerns ))). . Oh, I just remembered, I do make a fruit crisp for dessert (and next days breakfast) once or twice a season, when we have apples and blueberries in great abundance (from daughter’s acreage).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a source for fresh apples. I love to eat a cold, tart, crisp one. - Margy

      Delete
  6. I bet the mixture of pineapple with carrot cake mix is absolutely delicious ~ pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A carrot cake from scratch isn't much harder to make, but here in the city where I have fewer supplies this makes it easier to make. - Margy

      Delete
  7. I think with carrots in it, you can count this as a serving of vegetables. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember when they were providing information about school lunches that ketchup was considered a vegetable. In that case, of course carrot cake is both a serving of fruit and vegetable. - Margy

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy