Saturday, February 8, 2020

Snowbird RV Adventure Part 1: Port Hueneme to Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station


Part 1: Days 36 - 37



Lots of fields had workers either picking our planting.
December 9-10: We left Port Hueneme by noon checkout and started heading towards Los Angeles.

Shortly after leaving, we reached the 1500 mile mark of our Snowbird RV Adventure.

We drove through the Ventura County countryside. This is a fertile valley with lots of strawberries, artichokes, cabbage, peppers, tomatoes and other field crops.

While we were passing through the fields, a lone engine crossed in front of us.

A local Ventura County Railroad engine near Oxnard.

The engine was from the Ventura County Railroad. It transports goods locally around Oxnard, Port Hueneme and the U.S. Naval Base. It also transfers cars to the Union Pacific line. I love to hear the sound of a train whistle at night. How about you?

Blue skies for our travel through busy Los Angeles freeways.
We followed the El Camino Real of the early Catholic missionaries. Here it's busy Highway 101.

In the San Fernando Valley, we transitioned to Interstate 405 to head south.

This is all familiar territory for both of us. I was born in Compton, moved to Long Beach, and taught in Bellflower. Wayne went to USC and served on the Van Nuys then Point Mugu Air National Guard Bases.

After passing by my former Long Beach home, we arrived at the the Seabreeze RV Park on the Seal Beach Naval Weapons Station. There was plenty of daylight and blue skies to get some long deserved Snowbird sun.

Site #41 was on the end with a view of the tidal wetlands behind us.

We got to pick our site, and I again chose an end one for more space and privacy.

Happy Hour enjoying last of the blue skies and sunshine.

This is a popular military RV park because it makes a good home base for attractions in Southern California including Disneyland, beaches and the Long Beach region. Here's a quick YouTube video tour by U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks.



They offer full hookups, an on-site car/RV wash, RV storage, a small commissary with foods and supplies, a walking trail around the park and a wetlands area for bird watchers. We'll come back for sure. -- Wayne and Margy

Trip Mileage Log
Leg - 93 miles
Total - 1591 miles



Sometimes I'm not sure if an RV park or campground is right for us. First I check online reviews, but those can be conflicting. To see for myself I zoom in using Google maps or the satellite feature on the Allstays app. Even better, I look for a drive-through video. Two excellent sources I've found are Campendium (which includes boondocking sites) and U.S. Military Campgrounds and RV Parks (for parks on military bases if you are eligible).

16 comments :

  1. It looks like fun. My brother retired from the Navy in the area. He loved it but couldn't afford to stay as a retiree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the Guard base moved to Mugu that was a problem for many of the full-timers. I know quite a few continued to live in the Valley and had to do that long commute. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Open sky great shot . Hope you too like my shot which are present in my blog .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Fortunately in between the rain storms we got some gorgeous weather. - Margy

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of the Seabreeze RV park, and I live in the area. Sounds like a hidden gem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived not far away and went to Long Beach State. I drove by the base a gazillion times and knew there were munitions bunkers but never an RV park. Of course, I never took notice of those until recently. - Margy

      Delete
  4. You are having some great fun wandering about out there, something I hope to do some day!

    It's terrific to see you at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    My Corner of the World


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting and giving us a place to share our adventures. - Margy

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks. Breaking up our long trip into three parts has let us come home for Christmas and New Years with friends. - Margy

      Delete
  6. I love the train whistle. We used to hear it when we lived in Bala. So iconic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we are at home on Powell River that's one thing we never hear, but we do hear sea lions barking at the harbour in spring. - Margy

      Delete
  7. We grew up in a house near a railway track when we were little and I remember loving the sound of a train whistle at night. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't hear them during the day unless we are very near to the tracks. Must be that daytime noises mask the sound. - Margy

      Delete
  8. Hello, Margy, and thanks for visiting my blog. I wish you a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy seeing places from all around the world in these blog shares. - Margy

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy