Friday, February 16, 2018

Margy's Multigrain Muffins


I'm not a big breakfast person (unless we go out), and that isn't healthy (either way).

I'm trying to do better. We have a fresh fruit bowl every other day and healthy muffins go nicely with that for a well rounded morning meal.

I researched bran muffins online, and came up with my own multigrain version.


Margy's Multigrain Muffins

2 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
2 tablespoons molasses
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 orange zested and juiced

Lightly beat eggs.  Add brown sugar and blend.  Add milk, oil, molasses, vanilla, orange juice and zest.

1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup wheat bran
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup ground flax
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix dry ingredients and blend into wet ingredients.

1 apple with skin, grated
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

Stir in grated apple, soaked cranberries, and chopped pecans to the muffin mix.


Coat muffin pans with cooking spray. Fill 3/4 full for expansion.  Bake f20 minutes at 350 degrees, or until lightly brown.  Remove from pans while still warm with knife. Makes 21 medium muffins.  Freeze extras.  Warm in a toaster oven for an easy breakfast.

What are some of your favourite easy breakfast foods? -- Margy

5 comments :

  1. Your healthy muffins look very yummy! I'm like you. Not much of a breakfast person but as I grow older things seem to be changing. Some days I'm ravenous in the morning. Other days a muffin will do and it's good to have healthy options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tend to sleep later, especially during the dark winter mornings. We eat a late breakfast and then dinner early. Two meals a day work well for us. - Margy

      Delete
  2. Ooooh those look so delicious. I do like a good muffin. I have a blueberry muffin recipe that I make fairly often, and with the huge blueberries in this region, they are extra yummy. I have to make a shopping list now - as there are a few of the grains that I don't have on hand right now. I like muffins for breakfast - or for afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love shopping at the bulk bins at Winco because you can get just what you need rather than buying big packages and have leftovers for a long time. - Margy

      Delete
  3. These muffins look great! Thanks Margy for your kind visit and comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy