Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Cranberry Orange Nut Bread


I like to make sweet nut breads because they can be used as a breakfast item, a lunch snack or an easy dessert after dinner. I make several sweet breads for this purpose. If I have ripe bananas, it's Banana Nut Bread. I also make a Cranberry Pineapple Nut Bread.  But my favourite is Cranberry Orange Nut Bread. Here's the recipe I used from allrecipes.com.

Cranberry Orange Nut Bread

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 cup chopped cranberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest

If you use dried cranberries, put one cup in a little water and bring them to a boil. Remove from heat and let them reconstitute while you prepare the other ingredients.

Mix together the egg, oil, orange juice, and orange zest. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture, and stir until just blended. Mix in cranberries and nuts (I prefer pecans).

Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan (or two smaller ones) and sp
oon in the batter. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan(s) and cool completely.

I like to use the small pans because the bread cuts just the right size to make little sandwiches filled with pineapple cream cheese spread for lunch. -- Margy

4 comments :

  1. I know I'd love this bread! They are so versatile as you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have several versions of sweet breads that I like to make. You are right, they are so versatile. - Margy

      Delete
  2. This looks so good Margy, must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I don't have any ripe bananas this is my go-to sweet bread. - Margy

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy