Saturday, April 1, 2017

Homemade Coffee Liqueur


Coffee liqueur resting in my pantry next to my Orangecello.
This is my second recipe to try for making a Kahlua style coffee liqueur. The first was simple and used instant coffee. You can see that recipe by clicking here.

This new recipe used whole coffee beans and cocoa nibs. Each one has its own merits.

Here's a similar recipe I found online. When I made it, I cut the recipe in half.


HOMEMADE COFFEE LIQUEUR

Ingredients:

750 ml white rum
2 cups dark rum
1 ½ cups sugar
¾ pound whole coffee beans
1 cinnamon stick
1 tablespoon cocoa nibs
½ orange zest
1 vanilla bean

Directions:

On very low heat, melt the sugar in a small amount of rum to dissolve it into a syrup.

I had a hard time getting the sugar to dissolve this way so I added a bit of water.

Fill a glass jar with the coffee beans, cocoa nibs, orange zest, cinnamon stick, and vanilla bean.

I had to go to the bulk spice section of several stores before I could find the cocoa nibs.

Serious Eats describes them as "bits of fermented, dried, roasted and crushed cacao bean." In essence, they're "chocolate that hasn't been ground and mixed with sugar yet."

Pour in the dark rum and top with the white rum.

Place a lid on the jar and label it with the date.

Keep the mixture in a cool, dark place for about one month.

Shake it gently about three times a week.

Taste test the mixture occasionally. When the flavour is to your liking it is ready.

Strain the mixture through cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer into a clean jar.

I like using a Mason jar with a plastic lid. You can purchase them or save the tops from Parmesan cheese containers for free. I always like free.

Your coffee liqueur is now ready to enjoy as an aperitif, on the rocks, or my favourite way, topped with cream. It also makes a great addition to hot or cold coffee.

What better place to sip a cool drink than my front porch with the wonderful view of Powell Lake and Goat Island to enjoy.


How to you like to enjoy coffee liqueur? -- Margy

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy