Thursday, January 5, 2017

Woodstove Cooking: Firebox Baked Potatoes


Our Kozi woodstove.
This time of year, our woodstove is going pretty much 24/7 up at the cabin on Powell Lake. That is especially true this winter with sub-zero temperatures day and night.

Our woodstove is the "heart" of our float cabin home. Without its warmth, we couldn't live here in all seasons. 

Our stove is a KOZI.  KOZI still makes wood and pellet stoves, but our model is what I lovingly call a classic.  It came with our cabin when we purchased it in 2001, and has served us well ever since.

On top you will find pots of water heating and coffee perking. You might even find a pot of chili cooking.


Potatoes baking inside the woodstove firebox.

But there are lots more ways to cook using a wood heating stove.

Using my Imperial thermometer.
This week we used the inside of our firebox to bake potatoes for dinner. It's so easy. Just wrap a spud in aluminum foil and place it on the ledge inside the door.

To keep an eye on the temperature inside, I used my Imperial thermometer. I was surprised to see it get up to 500 degrees inside.

That's a hot fire, enough to cook my home grown potatoes in less than an hour.

Do you cook with a woodstove? what are some of your successes? -- Margy

12 comments :

  1. I never cooked inside our woodstove, although I heated things on the top when the power was out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like experimenting. Some things work and others don't. - Margy

      Delete
  2. We have a pellet stove and the only thing I've done on it is melt butter. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know much about pellet stoves. We had one in a cottage we rented once but that was years ago. Wood is the best for us since we would have to haul heavy bags of pellets up the lake in the boat. - Margy

      Delete
  3. We used to have a wood stove in our last house, many years ago, and I loved it. Now we have a natural gas one, nice and cozy but you can't cook potatoes on it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have gas in town, but it is SO expensive! - Margy

      Delete
  4. When I was in high school, we lived in a then-remote area (not so any more) with no electricity. Mom stored things in the oven of the electric stove, and cooked on top of an old pot-bellied stove. She could even make cakes on top of it! I was content, however, to let her do all the cooking until the electricity arrived. Then I took on bread-baking...12 loaves every Saturday until, the day after I graduated, Dad moved us down off the mountain and out to the wet coast. It was fun while it lasted, because I was very young. I'm supposed to be making soup after defrosting one container of turkey bits-and-broth today. My arthritic hands ache a the thought of it.
    It's fun to read about the adventures you and Wayne have up at the lake, but better thee than me, my friend!
    If I haven't already said this: "Happy New Year!" and if I have, well, saying it twice makes it extra nice.
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year back to you. So far our health and physical abilities are holding up for life on the lake. We retired early to get as much as we can and it has worked out well. - Margy

      Delete
  5. OH I love woodstove cooking - now I just need to get a woodstove again. We had one in an old school house in N. California - I almost always had a pot of water on for hot tea - and of course chili and soups simmering on the top. I'd never done baked potatoes - wish I'd known about that - would have been fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even did bread inside, but it was a bit tricky not to burn the outside and leave the inside doughy. - Margy

      Delete
  6. Great idea!!
    Thanks for sharing at Simple Homestead Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy