That's the title of a signature song by Randy Newman about Los Angeles.
Our trip to Los Angeles has been a reminder of all the great things there are to do in Southern California. Here are some of the things we chose for our vacation:
|USC basketball at the Galen Center.|
- Flew Alaska Airlines to Palm Springs, rented a car, and drove through some Santa Ana winds to Banning and a great dinner at Russo's Italian Kitchen.
- Had great rooms (one mini-suite next to the pool) at the USC Radisson and right next door to Galen Center.
- Went to three USC women's basketball games.
|Staples Center for a Lakers game.|
- Went to two USC men's basketball games, one with a very exciting final 4th quarter win over Arizona State.
- Rode the Metro Rail, the easiest and cheapest way to get around town.
- Saw the Lakers smash the Phoenix Suns. The cheer "We want tacos" encouraged the win. We cashed in our coupons at the Jack in the Box on Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena.
|Breaksfast at the Tallyrand.|
- Took a two day "vacation within a vacation" in Old Town Pasadena with the Hilton as our headquarters for strolling post Rose Parade Colorado Blvd.
- Had a great home-style breakfast and lunch at the Tallyrand, a traditional coffee shop in Burbank recommended by our good friend Jeanne.
- Used our old Vons grocery discount card to get deli meals for our hotel room. One good way to keep from eating to much while traveling.
|USC for sun and people watching.|
- Drove past Wayne's former apartment complex in Burbank as rivers of muddy water gushed down the hilly streets during an El Nino downpour.
- And we got lots of sun sitting in the USC central quad between storms. After all, this was a "suncation" as well as a "sportscation." Got to store up that Vitamin D before we go home to more winter up the lake.
|Downtown Los Angeles skyline on a clear January day.|
Fight on, Los Angeles! -- Margy