Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Butter Cookies


Usually I do my baking at the cabin, but this holiday season we will be in the States, so I decided to bake some cookies at the condo. I chose a simple butter cookie recipe and they turned out nice. This recipe makes a crunchy cookie that isn't overly sweet. It's great for the holidays, but it's a good cookie for nibbling any time.

BUTTER COOKIES

1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg slightly beaten
2 2/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons almond extract

Using a hand mixer, cream the butter (I used margarine) and sugar. Add the egg, then the almond extract (or vanilla). Mix the dry ingredients together before adding them slowly to the wet ingredients. Mix thoroughly. The dough will be crumbly like pie dough. Divide it in two.

Use your hands to roll the dough into a 1 1/2 inch diameter log. Place it in plastic wrap and roll back and forth on the counter for a uniform shape. Chill the dough for an hour before slicing. Cut cookies 1/4 inch thin and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Decorate if desired and bake at 400 degrees for 7-10 minutes. If cookies are slightly brown around the edges, they're done.

Remove to a rack (I use a paper bag) to cool then store in a sealed container. The cookies crisp after cooling.

I froze my second roll of dough so it'll be quick and easy. Are you busy baking Christmas cookies? What is your favourite kind? -- Margy

3 comments :

  1. That looks like fun for when my granddaughter comes over, she can make them herself. Do you know how many you typically make out of a batch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look like perfect Christmas cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy - Each log roll makes about four dozen small thin cookies. The total batch is about 8 dozen cookies if you bake them all at once. The good thing about refrigerator cookies is that you can cook them a few at a time. I've frozen the dough if I am not going to use it in a relatively short period of time. The cookies still turn out just fine.

    Sallie - They are so easy for a quick Christmas treat. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    Margy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy