Sunday, October 11, 2015

Cranberry Orange Nut Bread


I finally had all the ingredients to follow the Cranberry Orange Bread recipe from my Fannie Farmer Cookbook.

For several years, I’ve made bran muffins to have for our breakfast bread. I prefer them warm, and that easier to do when the woodstove is going during winter months. So when it's warmer, fruit breads make a welcome substitute.


Cranberry Orange Nut Bread
1 orange
Boiling water
2 tablespoons butter
1 egg
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup cranberries (I reconstituted dry)
½ cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans)
2 cups white flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda

Butter a loaf pan. Grate the orange rind and reserve. Squeeze the juice into a measuring cup. Add boiling water to made ¾ cup. Add orange rind and melted butter (I used 2 tablespoons Canola oil instead). Beat egg in a bowl then gradually add the sugar. Stir in remaining ingredients and orange mixture and blend well.

Pour into the buttered loaf pan and bake for 1 hour at 325°F. Remove from pan and cool.

When I made my last batch of bread, it stuck to the bottom of the loaf pan. I could easily loosen the sides with a knife, but the bottom was unreachable and it tore apart. Then I remembered a suggestion that JoAnn from Scene Through My Eyes made here on my blog. She uses a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of all her baking pans. I tried it with this recipe and it worked great.

I loosened the side with my knife and when I turned the pan over the bread slid out nice and easy. The parchment paper pealed off leaving me with a perfect loaf for slicing. I’ll do that every time now.

Thanks again JoAnn! -- Margy

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Comments, questions, and suggestions are always welcome. - Margy